Although it truly does not fall in Tech Feed category, but we cannot imagine exploring the universe to the extent we have achieved today without the progress in science and technology. So let explore 10 cool facts about Space that you probably didn’t know.
- MOON ILLUSION: There is an optical illusion which makes the moon appear to be larger when it is lower in the sky the apparent magnification is not caused by our atmosphere, rather it is a mind trick. When the moon is closer to the horizon it is closer to objects like buildings and trees which makes the moon look bigger compared to Moon when it is higher. Have you heard about Ebbinghaus Illusion? Well if you see this picture you can see there are two orange circles which appear different but are actually the same size.
- COLD WELDING: This may sound weird but it is true. Two pieces of metal without any coating on them will join into a single piece of metal in the vacuum of space. This doesn’t happen on earth because the atmosphere puts a layer of oxidized material between the surfaces.
- ANCIENT LIGHT: We all know that light takes 8 minutes 3 seconds to reach Earth and so at this very moment the light we are witnessing should be about 8 mins old, but in reality, that very light is approximately 30,000 years old! The light is generated from the core due to Fusion and it will take 30 thousand years to pass through the thick dense layer of atoms inside the Sun. Once it is out, it will take that amount of time of 8 minutes to reach. So imagine what would be the age of those lights which comes from stars thousands of light-years away.
- FLOATING POINT: The density of Saturn is so low that if you put it in a giant glass of water, it would float. The actual density of Saturn is 0.687 gram/cc and we know for water it is 1 gram/cc.
- FLASH: Our galaxy Milky Way is spinning at a rate of 225 kilometers/second. In addition, the solar system is traveling through space at a rate of 305 kilometers/second. This means that we are traveling at a total of 530 kilometers/second. This means that in 1 minute you are about 19,000 kilometers away from where you were 1 minute ago!
- NORTH STAR IS COMING: The North Star used for navigation is a steady point in the night sky but it will change. However, not in our lifetime. The earth is rotating like a spinning top and therefore the pole of our planet wobbles. Currently, it points to Polaris but in the year 13727, our Pole Star will be star Vega in the Constellation of Lyra. Vega was also North Star in 12000 BC.
- DRIFTING AWAY: The moon is moving approximately 3.8 centimeters away from our planet every year. It is estimated that it will continue to do so for around 50 billion years and by that time that happens the moon will be taking around 47 days to orbit the Earth instead of the current 27.3 days.
- SUN, THE GOD: Sun’s mass makes up about 99.86% mass of solar system. 1 million Earth would fit inside the Sun and more energy from the Sun hits Earth every hour then the planet uses in a year.
- PERMANENT FOOTPRINT: The moon has no atmosphere which means there is no wind to erode the surface and no water to wash the footprints away. So this means that the footprints of the Apollo astronauts along with the spacecraft prints will be there for millions of years unless it gets a hit by a meteor. 😛
- MEGA COLLISION: Our neighbor Andromeda galaxy is approaching our Milky Way at a rate of around 110 kilometers/sec and eventually the two will collide to form a gigantic elliptical galaxy. If you see the video , then you will see the various stages that one might see when these two will make a Titanic collision.
So that’s it guys and I hope you have enjoyed reading this article.
Do take a look at the video and don’t forget to Subscribe to our channel. 🙂 Peace.