In this article, you will get to know how to use your any Android devices as a monitor for Raspberry Pi. But before we start we would like to clarify something:
1. We have used Raspbian OS in this case.
2. It is one of the many ways by which you can get the same result. So if you don’t feel comfortable, you can use other methods also.
3. The apps we have used are very helpful and easy to use.
4. The whole process will take around 3 to 4 minutes of time, though it largely depends on your internet speed.
5. We have a video demonstrating the whole process below. Do check it out!
So let’s begin.
- Step 1: Install OS in your Pi
You can skip this step if you have installed the OS already. If yes then go to step 2 or else look the complete OS installing instruction in this link.
- Step 2: Download the required Apps
Download and install 3 apps from PlayStore on your Android device.
1. Network Scanner
2. Mobile SSH
3. VNC Server
- Step 3: Power up Pi and connect with router
Connect USB power adapter to your Pi.(5V-2A recommended).
Connect the Ethernet port of Pi to the LAN port of your router.
- Step 4: Find IP address of your Pi
Open Network Scanner app.
Before that make, sure that your Pi and the android device are inside the same network. Otherwise, it will not work.
As soon as you open the App, it will start scanning the network on its own.
Stop the scanning process if you find the name of “Raspberry Pi Foundation” and note down the IP address of the PI. Here the IP is 188.8.131.52. It will be different for you.
Close this app.
- Step 5: Create the SSH connection with Pi
Now open Mobile SSH app.
Go to SSH settings => enter the previously noted IP address. Don’t change other settings.
Come back to the main screen of the App and click on connect.
Type in pi as username and raspberry as the password to log into the Pi.
Type this command – sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
Wait for the software to ready and again type in tightvncserver only and send.
It will ask for a password. Give the password and give it again to verify. Remember the password.
Note down the desktop number. Here it is 1.
- Step 6: Use VNC viewer to view Pi Screen on your Android Device
Open VNC Viewer App.
Go to Settings => create a new connection to the IP address of your PI.
Give a colon after your IP address and type in your desktop number. like this –“192.168.0.100:1”. For you, it will be different.
Click on connect. If any security warning comes, ignore that and continue. This is not harmful. So chill!
After that, the App will ask the password which you gave in the last step. Give it and continue.
BINGO!! It’s done! 😉